Like many peeps who weren’t able to make it to The Strokes hometown return at the ultra-exclusive Tommy Hilfiger 25th Anniversary party at the Metropolitan Opera House night, I had a super-intense dream I was seeing the Strokes (in some dingy LA club for some reason).
But alas, the dream wasn’t true…but what did happen was that 1,200 invited guests (including folks like Neil Patrick Harris, the cast of Gossip Girl, and J. Lo, Mad Men‘s Christina Hendricks, according to NYMag.com and NYLON) were treated to an 8-song set on the terrace level of the venerable opera house.
I’ve scoured the internet, and these are the top things I think you’ll want to know that went down at the gig:
1. Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas, always a snazzy dresser, was wearing a black leather jacket, a (yellow?) baseball cap, and white sunglasses.
2. They performed their first US single, “Last Nite,” and someone did a video:
3. The giant Swarovski crystal chandelier at the Met was hanging directly in front of the stage the band performed on:
4. NPH tweeted from the balcony, “After party at the frigging metropolitan opera! Watching the Strokes perform. In the lobby! Unreal.” Here was his view:
5. The band played 8 songs: “New York City Cops,” “Hard to Explain,” “You Only Live Once,” “Reptilia,” “Last Nite,” “Someday,” and two more (?) UPDATE: “Juicebox” and “12:51” were also played.
Another video of “Last Nite”: