Hey folks — for those of you who watch some of the first two matches of the World Cup, is it just me or are those damn vuvuzelas (those plastic horns everyone has) making the most AWFUL non-stop buzzing sound throughout the matches?
I know that the horn has a 15-year history as THE defacto noise maker of South Africa, but to the rest of the world it’s the tool that makes the horrible sound of a giant swarm of bees buzzing over and over and over. It’s pretty much the most annoying background sound during a world sporting event. Will FIFA please put an end to the constant honks of the vuvuzelas and ban the damn things from the stadiums from now on?
Anyone else POed about the vuvuzelas?
Other people who hate vuvuzelas:
– Wall Street Journal writer Robb Stewart
– Tons of people in this New York Times article
– The folks at Hear-the-world.com really hate the vuvuzela and present data that states that the horns are more detrimental to your hearing than an air-horn.
– South African Times Live writer Mondli Makhanya
– Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press