I’m so surprised more people haven’t commented on The Guillemots post I wrote a few days ago. Seriously–it was a magical show. Although even when I was there I was totally shocked that the show wasn’t sold out because the band was so strong live.
– The Guillemots made their grand entrance by coming through the back of the venue and walking through the crowd smashing cymbals and playing brass.
– Lead singer Fyfe Dangerfield doing a subtle strip tease throughout the show, first taking off his newsboy cap, then jacket, then sanity.
– Fyfe walking off the stage, coming into the audience and yelling at himself after he totally blanked on the words/music to a song.
– Me swing dancing with Sarah during “Trains to Brazil”
– Fyfe making us grunt like a bunch of cavemen
– Fyfe doing a song solo during the encore: Just his amazing voice, a tiny keyboard, and the tapping of his feet. The audience was DEAD SILENT.
– The Noisettes coming onstage to help out with percussion.
I’m usually not a sucker for cheery, jangly pop (yeah that’s right Mystery Jets), but the Guillemots are so infectious and delightful you cannot help but fall in love with them. And if the music doesn’t work, the dynamic (and unpredictable) stage presence of lead singer Fyfe Dangerfield will definately win you over.